Is Power Wheelchair Covered By Medicare?

There’s a lot to love about power wheelchairs – they give people with mobility impairments the freedom to move around independently. And if you’re covered by Medicare, you may be wondering if your policy will cover the cost of an electric wheelchair.

 

Here, I will provide an in-depth look at the conditions and steps you need to take to get a motorized wheelchair covered by Medicare.

 

The good news is that Medicare does cover power wheelchairs, but some conditions must be met for the coverage to be approved.

 

 

Power Wheelchair Medicare Coverage

Those with a mobility impairment who cannot walk long distances or at all generally qualify for benefits under Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance).

 

In general, Medicare will only cover motorized wheelchairs for those who meet the following conditions:

 

The individual must…

  • Be unable to operate a manual wheelchair
  • Have a mobility impairment that limits their ability to walk long distances or at all
  • Home be configured in a way that is conducive to using a power wheelchair
  • Need a wheelchair to get around their home and community

 

If you meet all of these conditions, Medicare will likely cover 80% of the cost of your electric wheelchair. The remaining 20% must be paid for by the individual.

 

You can start the process of getting a motorized wheelchair covered by Medicare by contacting your local Medicare office. They can help you determine whether you are eligible, as well as provide you with information about how to start.

 

 

How to Best Use Your Medicare Coverage for a Power Wheelchair?

Now that you know Medicare will likely cover the cost of an electric wheelchair, it’s important to understand how to best use your coverage.

 

Your coverage for a motorized wheelchair may vary depending on where you live. In some cases, Medicare may only cover a power wheelchair for use in the home. In other cases, Medicare may also cover an electric wheelchair for use in the community.

 

It’s important to understand your coverage and how best to use it. If you only have coverage for a motorized wheelchair for use in the home, be sure to consider your needs when considering a power wheelchair. If you need an electric wheelchair for both home and community use, make sure you select a suitable model for both environments.

 

 

Alternatives to getting a power wheelchair through Medicare

You can explore alternative options if you don’t meet the Medicare eligibility requirements for a motorized wheelchair. Or if you prefer not to have your motorized wheelchair covered by Medicare.

  • Some private insurers may cover the cost of a power wheelchair, so it’s worth checking with your provider.
  • There are also many charities and non-profit organizations that provide financial assistance to purchase an electric wheelchair.
  • Finally, many companies sell power wheelchairs directly to consumers. While these wheelchairs may be more expensive than those covered by Medicare, they may offer more features and options.

 

Research your options and compare several power wheelchair models to find one that meets your needs.

 

 

Conclusion

So, is a power wheelchair covered by Medicare? The short answer is yes, but some conditions must be met. If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, Medicare will likely cover 80% of the cost of your electric wheelchair.

 

Getting a motorized wheelchair covered by Medicare can be a process. Still, it’s worth it to have the freedom and independence that comes with owning one. Be sure to contact your local Medicare office to find out more about how to get started.

 

Citations

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11046-Medicare-Wheelchair-Scooter.pdf

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/medicare-covered-services/durable-medical-equipment-dme/coverage-of-power-wheelchairs-and-scooters

Is Power Wheelchair Covered By Medicare?
is power wheelchair covered by medicare?

Share this post:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

Want the latest news on Mobility Aids delivered straight to your inbox? Subscribe to our newsletter for the freshest content! 

About My Blog

Are you looking for ways to improve your mobility? If so, I’ve got a decade’s worth of experience with mobility aids to share with you realistic and honest reviews, based on experience!

Recent Posts